Today I had a new one. I glanced back and thought that the woman behind me had on some strange fur coat, but after several seconds I realized it was a smallish, furry dog in the woman's lap. This alone is certainly not uncommon, but then she started whispering in the dog's ear. Now you may be thinking that there is no way that I could tell that she was whispering, I'm in a totally different car watching her from my rearview mirror, but it was unmistakable. She'd lean in and whisper, look at the dog then back on the road, chuckle to herself after she talked to him, and a couple of times she nodded or shook her head, all the time directing things to the dog. It was very strange.
Anyway, in the course of watching this lady with the increasing belief that she might be one of those crazy Son of Sam, talks to animals, killer types, I became paranoid that she would notice me watching her and later find and murder me (or become obsessed with controlling me and making me her junior partner--I just watched Notes on a Scandal the other day). I then started wondering how obvious my rearview watching is. So my question is, have you ever noticed someone in the car in front spying on you, or if you are the one spying, have you ever gotten caught?
If I was in the mood I might try to work out some sort of 'who watches the watchers?' question or closing comment, but I don't so I'll just say use your peripheral vision and drive safely.
2 comments:
Do you think the dog spoke back to her and that's what made her laugh? Perhaps the dog is telling her stories about his/her day at doggie day care.
I did not see the dogs lips (or snout) moving. In truth he looked rather uncomfortable.
Post a Comment