9.15.2008

I cannot live without books.

Day 3 - I leave the Motel 6 early (ie before 8) and make my way slowly to a DC parking deck (I saw no clandestine meeting taking place but I didn’t do a complete survey of the area). I started walking toward the mall, which is clearly my favorite mall in the world, though I knew that before. I started at the Washington Monument then headed for Lincoln, which, no matter what the maps and puzzles might suggest is a bit of a stroll. I walked past the White House and various cyclists and got to the man. I’ve been there before but this was a totally different experience which I cannot adequately describe so I won’t, except to say that it did not feel like church, which I have heard it compared to. Really, after that I could have left DC and been happy.
























(Thumb included for authenticity.)

Before I continue with my story of circumnavigating the mall I must point out that I didn’t fall down any of the steps (and there are lots) and I only stumbled twice, and the first time was only a couple of minutes after I saw another woman trip which made me wonder if tripping is contagious I’ve simply never noticed it before.


Back to the mall, since I was just doing hightlights I saw all the war memorials, and Jefferson from a distance. I limited my museum time to Air & Space (Apollo 11, Spirit of St. Louis, and a plane Amelia Earhart flew) and the Museum of the American Indian which had great stuff, and lots of “you white devils” imagery and quotes – I loved it, and the building itself is my 2nd favorite in the city. I also ate (part of) a buffalo in their authentic native foods cafeteria.

I continued over to the capitol, then to the LOC which I think I am actually in love with. Books, books, books! They have the rough draft of the D of I, the first map on which the name “America” appears, and the $5 Confederate note that Lincoln had in his pocket the day he was shot. Also, the British tour guide apologized for the British using the contents of the first LOC as kindling when they burned down DC. Among the facts I learned, the many artists who worked on the interior were kind of tricked into doing it, and didn’t get paid the entire three years it took them to finish, but in the end it was taken care of (despite their obvious misogynistic tone).

I walked out of the LOC and was heading toward the corner to consult my map and figure out how to get back to my parking deck when a beautiful think happened – like Paul Revere sounding the alarm there came bounding down the street a cab and a raised my hand and just a $10 cab ride later I was heading down to the blue level and preparing to head out of our nations capitol, satisfied with my days accomplishments.

Determining my next course of action proved tricky. I drove toward Baltimore, but before I got there I pulled over and found some free wifi and determined that NJ was the best option for the night. After consulting with my good friend Steven I headed to Mount Laurel’s Rodeway Inn (898 m) which was a significant improvement over the Motel 6, for the same price – though there was a giant inflatable rat across the street the next morning.

No comments: