9.12.2008

The road is life.

Day 1 - I cannot find my passport, so all of my plans to hop a plane to Australia are dashed - as is seeing the faux Avonlea on Prince Edward Island or the good side of Niagara Falls.  Instead I headed for Charlotte.  In driving to NC from GA it became necessary to travel through SC, and two things about SC bothered me.  One, the typical "men working" types of DOT signs that we see in GA - and everywhere else - are replaced with "Let'em Work - Let'em Live" signs (135.2 m) like the road workers of SC don't deserve two full words to guarantee their safety - they only merit a contraction - and a contracted pronoun at that!  Two, SC is trying to steal GA's peach thunder.  There were signs for peaches everywhere.  Now, I may not be the first to sing the praises of GA, or even a devoted fan of the peach but SC pissed me off.  I did not partake of their limited tourist opportunities or even get gas.  I made for Charlotte.

Now, normally a person going to visit a friend, especially one driving to a friends home that has no historical marker, website, or brochure at the Welcome to NC visitor's center would ask said friend for directions.  Once again, I demonstrated my naive confidence in Mapquest, which has done me wrong more than once before, but this time things worked out and I successfully made it to Stephenie's grandmother's condo, in the curiously well organized and manicured cul-de-sac (0f sorts) on Constitution Lane (290.2 m).  I was given wine, a bed, a shower, and I even saw the Philosopher's Stone (where neither the waiter nor the bartender knew what a Manhatten was), but I left my face cleanser behind.


No comments: