5.24.2009

...and through this, by and by, they reached their journey's end.

Day 11 – I left Steph’s later than I intended (there were homemade biscuits involved) but in the company of her GPS, which admittedly would have been more helpful if I’d gotten it on my first pass through NC, but road trips with GPS’s are for pussies, I say.  












Now, lesser mortals might retrace the quick route back through South Carolina, down 85 and back home in just a few hours.  Instead I opted for a more interesting and circuitous return voyage (props to Homer) and headed west through NC, through Asheville and to Cherokee, NC (3489.9).  Before I made it into the Reservation Proper, I stopped over at Santa’s Land, a favorite spot from my childhood, and popped into the giftshop hoping for a thimble (I snagged a small collectible bell as a poor substitute).  I also popped into the Dish Barn and picked up some actual thimbles.

 












Once I made it into the heart of Cherokee I went into the Native American Art and Culture center, which was lovely.  I could have spent quite a bit of money there on home furnishings alone, and the jewelry was insane.  

I picked up a couple more souvenirs there and then found the most unfortunate little tourist trap (3501.0).  Think of an Indian cliché and they had it; they even had ‘mammy wear’ as in cups and cookie jars and the like.  I made no purchases there.

 











BTW, lots of bikers around the Cherokee-Maggie Valley area.

 

And now, for points south.  Homeward bound, I crossed into Georgia (3571.8), and stopped at a rest area with a lovely wooden bridge and deck through a wooded area that I am sure I have been to before, though I can’t recall when.  When passing through Blue Ridge I happened to spot an Obama office which was rather surprising (Martin sign out front, though!).  From there I kept going down the Appalachian Highway to Cherrylog, GA home of the Pink Pig Barbeque restaurant, which is truly magical.  (It should be noted that there is another Pink Pig BBQ place in northern GA but it is no match.  Do not be fooled.)











After a tasty, though early dinner, I keep going south and I don’t stop again until I hit Villa Rica (3692.4).  There, souvenirs are quickly distributed, and I make for Ivy Green, where I find rest for my weary bones (~3706).

 

Exodus complete.

 

Coming soon: Leviticus.

No comments: