Day 8 – Today is the day of the woman, for the most part. Seneca Falls, NY (2106.1 ) is the sight of the first Convention on the Rights of Women, in 1848. There Stanton, Mott, Anthony and even Frederick Douglas got together and did some speechifying. Also, there is the Women’s Hall of Fame (that’s two HofFs in two days) which was a sweet little place though it was basically a physical wikipedia – just pictures and bios. They did have Amelia Earhart’s scarf and shoes and Lucretia Mott’s bonnet. The national park at the sight of the actual convention was much better – a good museum and the park includes the two remaining walls of the chapel where it took place. Also of note is that Seneca Falls is (allegedly) the town that Bedford Falls in It’s a Wonderful Life is based on. I stopped at ZuZu’s Café for coffee and some wireless. Then I said goodbye to the Finger Lakes Region and started toward Scranton.
As I crossed over into the state of independence I was greeted by a welcome center (pretty clean) and a sign reading “Smile. You’re in Pennsylvania” and I did (2219.9).
Scranton’s Steamtown Mall (2263.1 ) was for the most part just like any mall, except the food court looks out on the Steamtown National Historic Park which was kinda neat. Courtesy of William I also found my way to the bowling alley where Poor Richard’s is (though I almost died in the process). And what they say is true – Ain’t no party like a Scranton party.
No comments:
Post a Comment