4.07.2008

Interesting Study

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/selectatest.html

This is a study being done at Harvard measuring unconscious attitudes on race, age, gender, religion, politics, and other issues. I heard about this through NY Times columnist Nicholas Kristof's blog and thought it might be interesting to other people (mainly Ms. Myers).

Here's the main page: https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

There's also another test from University of Chicago called the "Police Officers Dilemma"
http://backhand.uchicago.edu/Center/ShooterEffect/

5 comments:

Marriecyers said...

For the candidate IAT test, my continuum was Hillary - Barack - John (spaced evenly apart).

For the shooting test here are my scores:

Your Score: 555
Average reaction time:
Black Armed:667.24ms
Black Unarmed:760.56ms
White Armed:680.04ms
White Unarmed:740.64ms

I don't think I'm quite ready for the force.

Jason said...

My presidential choices were the same as Carrie.

My shooter is

Score - 285
BA - 736.72
BU - 881.28
WA - 751.36
WU - 873.76

Does that make me a racist or not? I'd much prefer that they say, "You're a racist," or, "Way to be tolerant, honkie."

S said...

Did you guys try the other tests? From the Demonstration page? I tried the black-white, the Muslim-non-muslim one, and the Bush to Bill Clinton one. My score was "no preference" on all of them. But I also tried the sexuality one and it turns out that I prefer straight women to gay women by a moderate amount. Hmmm, I guess I need to start hanging out at different bars.

S said...

Were they spaced horizontally apart on the same line? That would mean you had no unconscious preference for any. Thats how mine turned out.

Jason said...

Mine were vertical or upsy-downsy. I super hella preferred Hill-dog.