4.02.2008

Not in any way an April Fool's post.

Apartment above me's water heater exploded at about 12:30 last night, water comes pouring into my apartment for the next two hours or so.  I'd say at least 20 gallons.  I am soaked.  Two changes of clothes, wet hair, and all from water that looks like it would make Dr. Marshall cry.

Maintenance guy, then the super-water-vacuum-carpet guys come from 1 to 3 to work on clean up.  One of them having obviously been pulled away from his not-a-cigarette smoking.

More water pours, most of it coming through the smoke detector.  Smoke detector starts beeping and maintenance guy gets a more than slight shock in trying to disconnect it.  Water everywhere.  Carpet soaked, kitchen flooded, books and movies wet.  (The Dictionary is safe.)

I break my Michael Scott bobble head.

Somehow the water getting on my living room alarm clock makes the radio on it come on and it will not shut off.

Carpet guys rip up some carpet, remove padding, replace carpet, and spray anti-mold stuff on the carpet (and my feet) which smells wonderful, btw.  I ask one carpet guy how things are in the upstairs apartment.  His response is "fucked up." (While I'm 'not afraid to work a little blue' [see first post on blog] or go for some spicy talk I do find it odd when complete strangers go right for the super-expletives.) Unbeknownst to me Carpet guy goes into my bedroom where there is underwear absolutely everywhere.  Carpet guy says he'll come back with a blower tomorrow (today).

They leave and I do multiple loads of laundry, mostly towels, and the carpet is still soaked.  I smash my finger in the dryer.

Head maintenance guy comes by around 8:40 (I went to sleep at 8:10) and determines that not enough carpet padding was removed so I basically will have to move everything in my apartment (which is a lot) around.  Head maintenance guy also goes into my bedroom without my knowledge--underwear has been relocated but bras abound.

In the course of moving stuff I break my great-grandmother's green wavy bowl which I love.  I cry.  I continue to move stuff.

Around ten I begin my professionalism essay, due today by five, which I have to complete in order to graduate (its a big deal).  I only have about 300 words to go.  Its about integrity and client service.  I have class at two.  I smell horrible and the maintenance/carpet guy(s) have not returned so I don't know when I'll be able to take (another) shower.  

Four theories about why this happened:

It was kind of still April Fool's day and the universe picked me and my upstairs neighbor.

Karma decided that I must be punished for constantly wondering about the banging noises coming from upstairs apartment, and/or neighbor should be punished for making noises.

Karma for me not going to IP yesterday.

On Monday I turned in my 60 days moving out notice and the apartment has turned on me.

*Though my propensity for lying is well known all of this is true and I have the photos to prove it.  As soon as my camera transfer cable is recovered I will post said evidence.

No comments: